|A KosherEye Chat with Lisa Koonin|
KosherEye "Foodie" Friend & Baker Extraordinaire
We are continuing our chat with Lisa Koonin as she shares her tips for successful Passover baking.
What do you look for when first deciding on a Passover recipe (baking)?
What are your favorite Passover Baking ingredients?
What are your favorite kitchen tools?
Please share some of your favorite Passover Kitchen Secrets/Tips.
• Use Passover vanilla sugar to substitute for up to 1/4 cup white sugar in cakes—it has great flavor. Vanilla sugar is also good for dusting a cake pan after greasing it and before pouring in the batter.
• Add a few tablespoons of strongly brewed black coffee and 1 tsp. of vanilla to any Passover cake with chocolate as a main ingredient—the coffee and vanilla will boost the chocolate flavor.
• Toast nuts before using in a recipe (like the Pecan Bars) to bring out the full flavor of the nuts.
• Roll lemons on the counter to soften them before juicing. But remember to remove the zest of the lemons before juicing them (as in the Lemon Meringue Pie).
• To prevent over baking, watch cakes carefully as they get to the end of the baking time.
• Finally, use the best quality ingredients that you can find—your desserts will improve as the quality of your ingredients improve.
• Also, at the end of each Passover, as I am washing, wrapping and putting my cooking utensils, dishes, and pots away, I make myself a list of things that I need to get for next Passover, utensils that will make it easier next year, and hard to find ingredients that I remind myself to get in March when the grocery stores first put out the Passover food.
What is a little known fact about Lisa Koonin?